Saturday 24 May 2014

Oh Just Grade!

So yesterday I handed in my geeee-orgeous orange ‘training’ vest for a nice new, luminous yellow, ‘official’ high vis vest. Ladies and gentlemen, I have gone pro. And promptly after receiving my new vest and getting stuck into some aggressive potato grading, my supervisor came up next to me and grabbed one of my rejects that was headed down the downgrade shoot. He held up the potato and there was, ummm, nothing wrong with it. 



It was an honest mistake! Human error and all that jazz. But seriously, sometimes I feel like an octopus with a million arms hurtling fecking potatoes up to the waste conveyor belt and down the downgrade shoot. And those spuds come rolling along so damn fast and I am all like…

I swear to god sometimes I literally blackout for an entire hour, having day-dreamed an entire music video (think that OK GO music video with treadmills) using the super highway of potato conveyer belts that are in the centre of the factory only to come to, dumbfounded at what a robot at I am and a little concerned about how many green potatoes I have let slide. 



But it’s like my friend Will says: ‘Minimum Wage, Minimum Care’. That said, the freaking Herschel girl in me hates being a failure, even it is grading potatoes.

This saying as well as a few others reeeeally get me through the day. 

“This is an investment in my future”
Yes I am giving myself the opportunity to stay an extra year which is grand but at 16 bleeding dollars an hour I think it is safe to say I will not be investing anything from a monetary perspective.

“I am not here for a long time, I am here for a good time”
I wouldn't classify working 15 hours as a good time, but that’s just me…

“Keep your head up”
Impossible. Your head literally has to be down when grading potatoes. Ben Howard has clearly never worked in a potato factory. 

"This experience is character building"
Yes I am now all humble and shit.



But every day, without fail, this one pops into my mind. At least 5...or 10 times.



And after 10 hours into a 15 hour shift...




More potato tales soon!

xx

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious! We eat nothing but the best potatoes here in Aus Jen. Thanks for contributing to my perrrrrfect potato salad I am making (yes KAte, with capers and all!). Cant wait to see you , please post pic of yellow overall!

    ReplyDelete